Stuff

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

House of Spirits Paragraph 2

Rosa's death causes Esteban to marry Clara without actually loving her. "I thought about how I had lost two years dreaming of Rosa, working for Rosa, writing to Rosa, wanting Rosa, and how in the end I wouldn't even have the consolation of being buried by her side. I thought about the years I still had left to live and decided that without her it wasn't worth it, "(pg.35) This quotation shows how Esteban was truely loved Rosa, and that he would never love anyone else but her. Esteban eventually marries Clara, even that he doesn't know that she does not actually love him. Clara sees that she will be married to Esteban by her clairvoyancy and that it is in her destiny, so she marries him for that, not by love. "He did not know that she had seen her own destiny, that she had summoned him the power of her thought, and that she had already made up her mind to marry without love." (pg.90) This quotation shows how Clara decides to marry Esteban for the sake of her destiny, and not for love. Because of this lack of love, Esteban has the desire for love and seeks it elsewhere.

other points:
Transito Soto
Forbidden / secret love of Blanca/Pedro
Blanca Marrying Jean de Satigny
Blanca divorcing Jean de Satigny

3 Comments:

Blogger gnomesque said...

Hey Robyn,

Looks good so far, the only thing I would say is that in your first sentence, the focus seems (to me) to be on Clara and whether or not Esteban actually loves her. Then you jump to a quotation about how much Esteban loves Rosa. I would suggest either putting another sentence before the quotation, or else not mentioning Clara until after your quote, just to make it flow a little better.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Laweag said...

Your quotes back up your points perfectly. I like how you fit them in so smoothly.

"Esteban eventually marries Clara, even that he doesn't know that she does not actually love him."

I think you want the "that" to be a "though". Also, and I think it was mentioned, there is a "was" in the line after your first quote that doesn't make much sense.

3:06 PM  
Blogger Ms. MacDonell said...

You have many comments so far and I notice that they are somewhat heavy-handed. I hope you are not finding the comments overwhelming. Your choice of quotations are to the point, but you should check correct formatting. Use (Allende 35) I would also add a little more lead in to the quotation. Clearly establish your point in the topic sentence and explanation of this idea before transitioning to the quotation. I like the way you comment on the quotation, but I would try to vary the tag so that you are not always using "This quotation shows" Maybe you will get to the fine-tuning of the sentences and word choice in the final draft.

3:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home